We help you communicate
in a way that works for
Your employees can learn to use plain language. See the schedule of our classes for 2021 here: https://www.atlanticmanagementcenter.com
You can also get in touch to schedule a training.
Learn to write in plain language with my video from Bigger Brains. Click on the thumbnail to view the video on YouTube.
Are you required to write in plain language or for a particular literacy level? Get in touch to talk through your project.
Let our team find and correct all errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, formatting, word choice, and flow. Contact us so we can pinpoint the scope of your project.
When your document matters to millions of people, understandability research matters. Let’s discover whether your public document is understandable.
When your audience understands complex topics, they can make informed decisions.
We develop and conduct interviews and focus groups, analyze data, draft reports, and test documents for understandability.
- Notices and disclosures
- Health information
- Consumer notices
- Consumer labels
- Health information (print, audio, video)
We design and deliver plain language training and other writing courses, which have to date reached more than 1,200 trainees:
- Plain Writing
- Business Writing
- Technical Writing
- Technical Editing
- Using Microsoft Word Editor
- Email Etiquette
- Report Writing
We ensure that your written communications meet national guidelines and standards for plain language and writing style, including:
- U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual
- Federal plain language and health literacy guidelines
- APA Style
- The Chicago Manual of Style
We perform quality control checks for your online learning materials.
We create plain language health materials to help you make a difference in achieving Healthy People 2030 goals, including:
- Actionable content for low literacy audiences
- Guides on managing health care issues at home
- Facilitation guides for educators and health campaign leaders
- Plain language fact sheets about health topics
- Safety manuals and emergency guidance
- Scripts for informational health videos
- Technical documents for clinicians and researchers
- Web copy for clinician and researcher websites
Our clients include a range of organizations that aim to clarify their internal and external communications.
Plain language communication gets results you care about for your audiences.
Federal Government Clients Include:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Combat Direction Systems Activity Dam Neck
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Defense Acquisition University
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of the Interior
- Federal Aviation Administration
- General Services Administration
- Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany
- Treasury Acquisition Institute
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- U.S. Naval Surface Warfare Center
- Veterans Affairs Acquisitions Academy
- Veterans Benefits Administration
Private Sector and Other Clients Include:
- Consumers Union
- Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
- Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
- Institute for Health Advancement
- J.P. Morgan Chase
- League of Women Voters
- Lockheed Martin
- National Council for Behavioral Health
- Uniform Law Commission
- Washington, D.C., Attorney General’s Office
Ms. Schwartz is an expert at putting complex material into plain language.
Owner and Principal
With more than two decades of experience in plain language writing, research, training, and consulting, Rebecca is an expert at putting complex material into plain language. Rebecca served as Deputy Executive Director and Executive Director of the Center for Plain Language from 2012-2016. She’s also served as a judge for the ClearMark Awards sponsored by the Center for Plain Language.
Get to know Rebecca by watching her teach beginners’ level plain language for Bigger Brains: https://youtu.be/YzwzlRgBAhQ
Some samples of Plain Language Source products are:
- AARP’s Facilitator’s Guide: Women to Women: Living Longer, Living Stronger
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s No More Excuses: You Need a Flu Vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresources/general/no-excuses-flu-vaccine-print.pdf
- Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance Fact Sheet: Chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis (CRMO)
- Mental Health First Aid Manuals: https://mhfastore.org/
To learn more about training, plain language revisions, editing and proofing, or understandability research, please complete the form so we can discuss your specific needs.